vendredi 17 mai 2013

Xtri - Calvi (english version)



D day, start is planned at 10 AM. I like it, this way i can take a breakfast not fast, a breakslow in fact and go to the starting area easily. Only 1,5 km. Perfect for a 5 min warm-up with my bike... I’m almost the last one to get my stuff in the transition area but no stress, it’s not a huge event.We are just more than 100. Weather seems perfect, blue sky but already windy.

Little warm-up in the Big Blue, water is warmer than last week in Six four (South of France). Stand-by, start is on the way under the ark, i take position in front of the race with Nathanael on my right (very good swimmer) and Nico Lebrun just nearly. I don’t have the same level but i say to myself what about the others ! This year, i feel at ease with my swim then i don’t want to be bothered and start behind.

2 laps with an australian transition between the laps. The beginning is always uneasy but after the first buoy everybody find his place. The short race starts after us and unfortunatly we will catch the slower swimmers during our second lap. Hard to swim between breaststrokers... I get out of the water, 10 or 12 according to my blond wife (in fact six). I’ve got the feeling (ou ou ...)“i swam quite well”. Happy, top leaders are not so far even if Nath, my friend  killed everybody with his fast swim. What a talent!

Mtb starts with a crossing pinewood and a paved road to take elevation. As usual, people eat me during the first km. Not important, the first hill is long and sometimes steep. The dirt ground is completely dry, i can’t believe there were no rain during this (ugly) winter. My tires don’t stick sometimes and sand is on the road. Be careful my friend.

The more i climb, the more i find my rythm and eat back furious people left too fast. Downhill on paved road then downhill with paved and unpaved road to attack the best part of the race on the peninsula.  Tracks share in two ways, long race and short race. All moutain bikers close to me turn on the short way, i find myself alone, nobody in the front, nobody in the back.

Not important, i see some guys front of me and put gas to catch them up. Steep trails, moderately technical tracks, i like this part of the race. I run when i need to push my bike, i try to get “fast”. U turn, let’s take some large dirty road with a facing, sidelong and pretty disturbing wind. I manage crisis before restarting the second lap on the peninsula but i missed the track one time and i loose my rear wheel. Not the first time, pretty weird, u say pretty weird ? Then we have to climb again the first ill by the other side.

This climb will be 50% on paved road with a facing wind. My road bike training allows me, i suppose, to keep the speed... i manage this ill with moderate elevation. But last but not least, there is another “bump” quite steep. It will be ok for me and i didn’t see my trackers... The end of the race will be easier, still some  boost  and a technical downhill where i have the right idea to spread my face on the ground. Except this mistake, i will get down "properly" and quickly.

Not so good transition where my shoe soles for running have the good idea to get rag. Right and left rebel. Never mind, i run with rags! I absolutely don’t know about the running course. The beginning is quite diabolic, sand, sand, sand, I think it will be a long day. Bingo, one dune to climb and get down to cross a river. 1,50m deep. I think about Nath who’s 1,10 meter high, he had to swim ! After all, fortunatly we  run on a flat and “solid” track. I start to catch up some guys (long or short race?). I don’t know anythink about my position. I then have a good idea, eat a bug that bites me in the throat. Glurps, i have a bad tendency to “inflate” with insect bites, i put my fingers in my mouth to vomit. Hello my fellow poets! Nothing comes out but i think that my gastric juice had seriously tackle the beast. Well, i continue and keep my pace...
 
Crossing short and long race, we will finally be able to count the racers. I met one guy (Not Nico who is undoubtedly the first), two, three then nobody till the U turn. I’m so focused on my support i do not count and in fact i don’t care, i manage my pace and direction. It’s a real “chemin des douaniers”. Arrived near the U turn, i meet Nath who’s saying “u’re already there”. Well i don’t know, may be...The return will be pleasant for some kms, technical trail then back on the beach, pebble beach with a facing wind! Quite bad for the support, i catch up two italiens and get closer to my friend Nath. He is far from me, nobody ahead, nobody behind, i already think about my next week.

3h19 to cross the finish line, 2 min from Nath. Unreal, last year he made me 20 ! Apart from that, i’ve never been in a tough day. A race that i have not suffered but appreciated. Good day. My ranking was quite stable : 6 after swim, 13een time on mtb, 6th time on the run and 6 at the end. Steeve will do a good race too with Michael, my training bike partner who’s strating triathlon with happiness.

There will be two male podiums, a scratch, first Nico Lebrun and a master, first Nico Lebrun... and third for me (first M2). Weird podium! Nath third male will not be on a podium...

Just bad news, pain in the Achille tendon reappears after the race. I’m afraid.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire